I got the idea myself while watching the Goldberg’s last night. Man what a great show. They always start the show with it was 1980 something…
What I love most about the show is the songs. Last night featured one of my favorite guilty pleasure songs from 1989 by The Bangles called Eternal Flame.
It got me thinking back to 1989 and wondering what else was going on back then. Then I thought, hey why not combine the concept with Facebook’s Throwback Thursday and make it a weekly segment.
With that I give you Throwback Thursday 1989
What a busy year 1989 was.
1. Thousands killed in Tienanmen Square.
2. Salamn Rushdie sentenced to death by Ayatollah
3. Berlin Wall opens to the West
4. US troops invade Panama
5. George Bush inaugurated as 41st Presdent
6. Oliver North convicted in Iran-Contra affair
7. San Francisco earthquake kills 67 and delays World Series game
8. Exxon Valdez crash in Alaska spills 11 million gallons of oil
I’d be lying if I said I liked a lot music from the 80’s as I don’t. Here’s a link to Wikipedia which has the top 100 songs from 1989. I thought I’d highlight a few of my favorites.
#3 Poison – Every Rose Has It’s Thorn
#18 Fine Young Canibals – She Drives Me Crazy
#32 Bangles – Eternal Flame
#42 Young MC – Bust A Move
#74 Guns and Roses – Welcome To The Jungle
#76 R.E.M. – Stand
#84 Edie Brickell – What I Am
The list of shows that debuted in 1989 is impressive. Here’s a few:
1. The Simpsons
3. Saved By The Bell
5. Doogie Howser, M.D.
6. Quantum Leap
7. Family Matters
10. America’s Funniest Home Videos
Sticking with our theme in Around The Web, we have to give you some hot chicks from 1989.
So that’s it for my first throwback Thursday MWTVG style. There was so much more I left out but I think this gives you a good flavor of what was going on back in 1989.