Step out the front door like a ghost
into the fog where no one notices
the contrast of white on white.
And in between the moon and you
the angels get a better view
of the crumbling difference between wrong and right.
– Counting Crows
It’s Friday everyone! You’ve made it through another week. Great job. Now as you sit at your desk contemplating the weekend not working, make sure you get the news from around the web for 1-31-14 before your boss comes to find out what you are doing.
- How many of you have ever heard of Eve Online? Think World of Warcraft but set in space. Something happened in the Eve Online game world that was shocking because of the amount of real money involved. The funny thing is how much it mirrors real life. A tiny mistake that could have gone unnoticed started an online battle that has, at last estimates, cost over $500,000 in real money. You read that right. (Forbes)
- What’s your Twitter handle? Ours is @midwesttvguys. Fairly simple but there are even more simple ones out there that believe it or not are worth a lot of money. This is the story about how the person who used to own the @N Twitter handle (valued at about $50,000) had it stolen by a hacker and how it happened should frighten you because of how easy it was for the hacker to pull it off. (Medium)
- Here are 19 things you might not have known about Star Wars. (Mighty Mega)
- NBC has historically done an awful job managing their late night shows. They screwed everything up after Johnny left, screwed Conan O’Brien, and recently, they have screwed Jay Leno. At least Jay is getting a good send off from guests as his time on the Tonight Show comes to an end. (Seriously OMG)
- Here’s one for the ladies. David Beckham is going to be in a Super Bowl commercial in his underwear. (Swoonworthy)
- Sharknado turned out to be a huge hit. Anything that popular you know will get a sequel even if it was only popular because people wanted to see how bad it was going to be. How bad do you think Sharknado 2 will be? Also, I think they got the name wrong. I would have called it Sharknado 2: The Sharkening. (Digital Spy)
- I’ve seen some of these on Facebook lately but here are all of them in one place for your convenience. 27 slogans for businesses if they were being honest about what they really do. (Ned Hardy)
- If it’s not -40 here in Chicago, it’s snowing. This winter has really sucked. Here are some pictures to help you think of the happier times of summer. (Bro My God)
- Danielle Knudson is a Canadian model who should be on your radar. (CoEd)
- The internet isn’t just a place for porn (or so I’m told). Apparently there are good ideas out there too. Here are 20 of the best ideas the internet has come up with so far. (World Wide Interweb)