The eastern world it is exploding
Violence flarin’, bullets loadin’
You’re old enough to kill but not for votin’
You don’t believe in war but whats that gun you’re totin’?
And even the Jordan River has bodies floatin’
But you tell me
Over and over and over again my friend
Ah, you don’t believe
We’re on the eve of destruction
– Barry McGuire
Well the Cubs lost 2 in a row for the first time this season and already some Cubs fans are leaping from the bandwagon. Take it easy everyone. It’s going to be ok. They are still a very good team even though they lost 2 in a row. It just shows the level of training we as Cubs fans have received from our team over the years. While people seem to be generally positive, there is obviously a powerful undercurrent just waiting for the wheels to fall off. We are a funny bunch. Let’s get to the news from around the web for 5-12-16.
- The cakes this woman makes are truly pieces of art. Pieces of art that I would still stuff right in to my face, but they are very pretty. (BuzzFeed)
- One of my least favorite things about the internet generation of kids today is that there is never any such thing as just making a simple announcement. Everything has to be some sort of clever production. Baby announcements are among the worst offenders. The amount of time people take to stage their announcement that their friends are just going to click like on and then secretly judge them is amazing. When this couple found out that they were infertile, they decided to make fun of those baby announcements and it’s great. (PleatedJeans)
- The Chive says that a unicorn is a woman with dark hair and light eyes and that they are very rare in the real world. In this day of hair color and colored contacts and the fact that The Chive has over 50 photos of these kinds of girls, I don’t think it’s all that rare. I’m a fan of the look, but I don’t think it’s that rare. (TheChive)
- Judging the height of celebrities is often tough because they are always sure to be seen around people their own height, especially if they are of the Tom Cruise shortness variety. Here are some female celebs that are on the tall side that you might not have known were up there. (Hollywood.com)
- I think it’s safe to say that Ronan Farrow won’t be getting invited to Thanksgiving at Woody Allen’s house this year after what he accused him of. (Celebitchy)
- Another celebrity couple has announced that they are calling it quits. I just don’t know any more. This break up is devastating because it had all the hallmarks of being the real thing that was going to stand the test of time. (Dlisted)
Today’s music video comes to us from me listening to the radio and this one popping up. The radio DJ incorrectly stated that this song is the only war protest song to ever make it to #1 on the U.S. charts. I would argue that Springsteen’s Born in the USA is also a protest song and that one definitely reached #1. Anyway, the song was originally written for The Byrds but they turned it down. The Turtles recorded a version that wasn’t released until 1970 but former New Christy Minstrels singer Barry McGuire recorded this song in one take for his first solo album. The song reached #1 in the U.S. and was quite controversial. The controversy no doubt helped the song as the media said this song showed what was wrong with America’s youth at the time so guess what the youth did? They played the crap out of this song then. This is Barry McGuire’s version of Eve of Destruction released in the Summer of 1965.