Fun Movie Quotes:
“Son, you got a panty on your head.” — Raising Arizona
“I want my two dollars!” — Better Off Dead
“Maybe you’re the plucky comic relief.” — Galaxy Quest
“You’re killin’ me Smalls!” — The Sandlot
“Inconceivable!” — The Princess Bride
Those are some of my favorites, now on to the rest of around the web. It’s Friday!!!
- We think we finally figured out were Midwest Mike has been. He’s been partying with Amanda Bynes for the last couple of weeks. That had to be one hell of a bender, culminating in a police chase and her throwing a bong out of her apartment window, leading to her being held for a psychiatric evaluation. No word on the others at the party. Godspeed Midwest Mike. (Amy Grindhouse)
- I was all set to make fun of Jennifer Aniston’s new movie where she plays a stripper that does yada yada, does it really matter? Then I saw a preview of the movie and dammit it looks funny. It’s got Ron freaking Swanson in it so you know it’s good. (Lainey Gossip)
- There are no small jobs just small people as they say. So to the guy who was in charge of Alyssa Milano’s breasts during filming of her new pilot Mistresses, we salute you. Also, and I think I speak for all the writers her at MWTVG, we are available and willing to work for significantly less then the going rate. We’re talking illegal immigrant wages here. (Seriously OMG)
- The Bachelorette is set to again take up space and pollute the airwaves next week. Can you believe this show started in 2003, I know I can’t. So in it’s honor, Jimmy Kimmel gives us The Baby Bachelor. You would have thought it was MTV doing this. (The Hollywood Gossip)
- Hot actress of the day – Gillian Jacobs from Community. (Esquire)
The Hollywood Reporter recently sat down with NETFLIX’S TED SARANDOS and CINDY HOLLAND, the Chief Content Officer and his Vice President of Original Programming for an interesting and insightful look behind the curtain into NETFLIX’S world of original content.
The entire three pages are a good read for everything from status of current shows to future plans as well as some interesting analytics they use to benchmark popularity and renewal decisions. One gleaming little nugget of news in the interview shows hope for their freshman horror series HEMLOCK GROVE, as Netflix is currently hearing plotline and storyline pitches for a second season.
This is great news as far as I’m concerned. I enjoyed the first season quite a bit (read my full review here) and don’t quite understand the misplaced hatred it has received from many critics. Even though I fully acknowledge the fact that it wasn’t perfect, a second season would be a wonderful opportunity to correct some mistakes, tighten everything up and deliver a much more polished run.
When asked about what insights the data and analytics gave for the audience of HEMLOCK GROVE, Sarandos responded:
“Hemlock is much more polarizing; you either love it or hate it. The crossover for the people who love the show was American Horror Story, not The Vampire Diaries. It was incredibly popular in the Nordics because of the popularity of the Skarsgards [Bill Skarsgard stars] and in Latin America, where the horror genre is very big.”
Pretty much sums it up. If you are a fan of the recent resurgence of horror themed television, upgrade to Netflix for a free month to check it out! I’ll be tuning in to a second season for sure.
A new FOX show Does Someone Have To Go airs tonight. From the show’s website – A reality series in which bosses turn their businesses over to their employees, who are given the power to make changes in the workplace—and even decide the fate of their colleagues. The premiere features a credit card-processing company in Illinois called Velocity Merchant.
That’s the pretty version of the show. In actuality what will happen is that private conversations will be shown to all the employees to get employee angst nice and high. Then everybody’s salary will be revealed. Only at this point, once everyone is nice and pissed off at their fellow employees is a vote taken to establish the bottom three, one of which could be fired.
My favorite comment about the show comes from TV Guide. Yes, just what we need in these difficult economic times: corporate bloodsport, a tasteless reality competition in which humiliated co-workers get to be each others executioners.
I am not a fan of reality shows to begin with, but are we finally at rock bottom? I guess it’s a good thing that this show at least features people at work unlike Buckwild, Keeping Up With The Kardashians, or Big Brother.
I’ve been meaning to talk about The Goodwin Games, a new FOX sitcom that aired this week. All in all, it’s not bad. Even though it’s not on NBC, there is very little chance this show will ever make it.
Here’s a link to an interesting article about the road this show took to get on the air and why it’s unlikely to make it. It has to do with the changing nature of network programming and how networks are going to limited run series to compete with cable TV’s shorter seasons.
The show is from the creators of How I Met Your Mother, which I am still on board with, even though some writers over here can’t stand Ted Mosby. It’s a cute show about a dad who just passed away trying to get his kids back together by making them compete for his estate.
As a parent myself, I’m always looking for those shows that are funny and appropriate to watch with my kids. Our 2 favorite shows that fit this category right now are Psych and The Neighbors. I am adding this show to the list, but am managing my expectations as to it’s ultimate demise.
I think that’s smart as last week I went crazy on NBC, and it really made Google mad at us for some reason. So, I’m staying positive and will enjoy the show for what it is and for what it will be, short lived.
She’s got a smile it seems to me reminds me of childhood memories where everything was as fresh as the bright blue sky. Now and then when I see her face she takes me away to that special place and if I’d stare too long, I’d probably break down and cry. Guns & Roses
It’s rainy and cold here in Chicago, so let’s see what’s going on around the web in your neighborhood.
- Holy good god, Paris Hilton just signed a deal with some company named Cash Money Records. I guess having just watched a completely lip synced Billboard Music Awards show, anybody (I’m looking at you Selena) can be a music star today. Remember when this ended the career of Milli Vanilli? They weren’t frauds, they were pioneers. Can a Farrah Abraham deal be too far away? (Starcasm)
- I won’t go too hard on Kendall Jenner as she is only 17 and has Kris and Bruce Jenner for parents. Kendall recently tweeted that she wishes it wasn’t so hard all the time. Look, I get that it’s tough for a millionaire model with an 87 IQ today. That didn’t stop Francis Cobain (daughter of the late Kurt Cobain) from chiming in and ripping Kendall a new one. (Hollywoodite)
- He always has to be involved in something. Jose Canseco is being investigated for raping a fitness instructor in Las Vegas. Jose obviously feels he is being wrongly accused and took to twitter to challenge the alleged victim to a game of truth or dare, daring her to tell the truth. He made some other ominous threats that should form the cornerstone of a great defense. Hey Jose, when you run into OJ, let us know how he’s doing. (The Superficial)
- This one’s for the parents. The kids at College Humor are giving away $5,000 to the neediest college student. Click on the link for the application and their definition of “neediest”. (College Humor)
- Hot actress of the day – Emmy Rossum from Shameless. (Esquire)
The 3rd Annual Critics’ Choice Television Awards were announced today, and I am happy to say that many of my favorite shows were nominated for multiple awards. Highlights are as follows, and full list of nominees within.
Congratulations to HBO and FX with the most network nominations, at 21 and 19 respectively. Also special congratulations to AMERICAN HORROR STORY: ASYLUM for tying BIG BANG THEORY for the most nominations for a single show (at 6). GAME OF THRONES was nominated for Best Drama Series (which it totally deserves to win). Both TIMOTHY OLYPHANT (JUSTIFIED) and ANDREW LINCOLN (THE WALKING DEAD) received nominations for best actor in a drama series, although I would suppose that BRYAN CRANSTON or KEVIN SPACEY would win that category for BREAKING BAD or HOUSE OF CARDS. VERA FARMIGA was deservedly nominated for best female in a drama series for BATES MOTEL.
With the nomination timeframe being based on shows aired between June 1st 2012 and May 31st 2013, I can honestly say that I’m surprised about the HANNIBAL snub.
Important to note that submissions are still being accepted for the “Most Exciting New Series” category, so critics: please nominate the bejeezus out of HANNIBAL!!!
Head inside for more analysis, a full list of nominees plus MIDWEST MARK’S predictions. Continue reading
Isn’t that the way they say it goes? But let’s forget all that and give me the number if you can find it so I can call just to tell them I’m fine and to show I’ve overcome the blow, I’ve learned to take it well I only wish my words could just convince myself that it just wasn’t real but that’s not the way it feels. Jim Croce
Here’s what is going on around the web on hump day.
- The word hero is thrown around a lot, but Jon Bon Jovi coming out and calling Justin Bieber the A word makes him mine. Well not really, but I think it’s pretty funny. It finally feels like Bieber’s 15 minutes of fame is coming to an end. It was at least 14 minutes too long if you ask me. (The Superficial)
- Those marketing geniuses over at MTV are at it again. To promote next weeks episode of Ke$ah’s show, they played a clip about how some people drink their own urine. Of course Kesha decides to do it. Right before she takes a sip, the screen goes black, leaving you to wonder 1) does she do it and 2) why the hell are you watching this? (Seriously OMG)
- Did you really think a day would pass without a Farrah Abraham update? Turns out the “star” of Backdoor Teen Mom, has signed a deal with some company named Spinboi Films to produce some reality TV show. That’s just great, now I have another show to not watch. (Reality Tea)
- It appears the education system in the UK is just as bad as in the US. How else could you explain why Emma Way would take to Twitter to brag about running a cyclist off the road. You should click on the link to read her genius post. Oh and she also posted some other Twitter gems. (Perth Now)
- Hot actress of the day – Emmanuelle Chriqui from Entourage. (Coed)
I would like to declare BATES MOTEL a massive victory for A&E. Heavy on reality-type shows but light on scripted series, it could have easily been an epic failure from many fronts. Would A&E make it too vanilla? Can FREDDIE HIGHMORE act post-puberty? Is there enough material from the iconic movies to build an entire series from? Will MIDWEST MIKE ever regularly post to the blog again? Sorry, I got carried away with my hypothetical questions there.
In Monday night’s finale, we saw Norman finally snap after weeks of struggling with his many layers of sexually fueled frustration. Norma also came clean with some of her past demons to comprise the single most awkward conversation a mother can ever have with her son before a school dance. The Jake Abernathy issue was solved once and for all by Sheriff Romero and Dylan finally softens a bit to his mother. Overall, a great conclusion to a fantastic season.
Was the season completely perfect? Find out inside. Continue reading
Attention all you 666 PARK AVENUE fans out there (including yours truly), after cancelling the show midstream and savagely yanking it with only four episodes to go, ABC has finally set an official date for the return of the final episodes.
Bear in mind from my previous review, the last four episodes were quite good and culminated to a satisfying conclusion. Certainly worth tuning in for. You will also be treated to one of the best characters of the entire series played by (the now-official friend of MWTVG) RICHARD SHORT. You’ll know who I’m talking about when you see him.
Along with 666 PARK AVENUE, ABC is also briefly bringing back the other season flunkie ZERO HOUR which starts back to back on June 15th before being joined by 666 PARK AVENUE on June 22nd.
Please show some love to this ‘little show that could’. As far as I’m concerned, it was severely underrated and should have gotten much more attention than it received.
What is a date really, but a job interview that lasts all night? The only difference is that in not many job interviews is there a chance you’ll wind up naked.
Men don’t care what’s on TV. They only care what else is on TV.
Here’s what is going on around the web for Tuesday.
- Further supporting my theory that attractive female celebrities are either at work or lounging by a pool in a skimpy bikini, Olivia Munn was recently photographed for Esquire Magazine. Spoiler alert – it was not at work. (Egotastic)
- Get your first look at an all blue Jennifer Lawrence on the set of X-Men. I continue to not understand the fascination with her. She looks about the same to me all blue as she does normally. (Pink Is The New Blog)
- Miley Cyrus has a new album coming out and what better way to promote it then by posing in a swimsuit on the cover. (Popoholic)
- Also, in news that should shock no one, Courtney Stodden says she has filmed her own porno. Oh, but you can’t see it, she’s keeping it private, except for telling us it exists. (D Listed)
- You guys seem to love stuff from the 80′s. Well here’s 80 things from the 80′s. Who could forget Garbage Pail Kids? (Buzz Feed)
- Hot actress of the day – Candice Accola from The Vampire Diaries. (Fan Pop)